Wednesday 12 February 2014

I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir


Reviewer : Gillian Hamer, author of The Charter (www.gillianhamer.com)

What we thought : A fellow crime writer (thanks Sheila Bugler!) recommended this book as I'm known as a crime writer with a love for mixing crime with a dollop of paranormal - and thought I might enjoy the read. And she was right! 

It's a move away from the Nordic crime wave of recent years, but it carries its own solid appeal. Twists and turns in what, on the surface, seems to be a simple child abduction case, while on a separate track, we're taken to a remote island where things clearly aren't what they seem. 

I had a few picky issues with a couple of plot points, where the danger and intrigue seemed forced somewhat (no, no, don't head off to that abandoned factory just as its dropping dark and you’ve seen dead people!) but there wasn't too much to worry me or detract from my enjoyment (and I find I am becoming more and more a fussy reader!) I engaged with all the main characters, and despite guessing early on one of the twists, I found the denouement satisfying and chilling I equal measures. It's always a delight to meet a new author you really like, and this is one I shall return to I hope.

Reading up on the Icelandic author, I can a lot more books (especially Last Rituals and Ashes to Dust) to add to my To-Be-Read pile!

You’ll enjoy this if you like : Jo Nesbo, Stieg Larsson, David Hewson (The Killing Novel)

Avoid if you don’t like : Nordic crime, remote islands and cold weather.

Ideal accompaniments : A double shot of Russian vodka, pickled herrings and a nice, hot sauna.

Genre : Crime, Noir

No comments:

Post a Comment