Wednesday 12 February 2014

The Black House by Peter May

 Reviewer : Gillian Hamer, author of The Charter (www.gillianhamer.com)

What we thought : The second book I've read of Peter May's Lewis trilogy (unfortunately I've read them out of order!) and my favourite so far. Getting to know the main character, Fin Mcleod, both as a youngster and as a present day detective, added another layer to the novel, which I adored.

The location was again stunningly described, and the attention to detail when describing local characters and customs, added another level of expertise to what was already a gripping crime investigation.

When a copy cat murder draws Fin back to his childhood home in the Shetland Isles, he finds himself drawn into a messy investigation which transports him back in time to examine aspects of his own childhood that he'd long since buried.

I'm quite new to Peter May's writing and I'm so glad I discovered his work through one of my Triskele colleagues, Kat Troth. Having now read and enjoyed both The Black House and The Lewis Man, I very much look forward to the final novel in the trilogy - and then moving on to his latest novel, Entry Island.

Hugely recommended!


You’ll enjoy this if you like : Val McDermid, Ian Rankin, Ann Cleeves.

Avoid if you don’t like : Scotland. Scottish islands, traditions or folk.

Ideal accompaniments : A wee dram of an 18 year old Malt.

Genre : Crime

 

No comments:

Post a Comment